Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Diver Down...Sort Of

I thought I'd give a quick update on the diving certification.  It's on hold for the time being.  I had a different instructor the last time and he freaked me out.  I literally thought he was trying to drown me.  I know it sounds ridiculous but, when you panic, everything becomes distorted.  Anyway, I didn't want to go back under the water with him and my original instructor was a little flaky so I ran out of time.  I have a year to finish though so I'm hoping to pick it up again when we get back.

Luckily, Poseidon Dives in Australia has what are called introductory dives.  Four students go out with an instructor.  We only have to do 2 skills...regulatory recovery (no problem) and mask clearing (usually no problem).  After those 2 skills, we get to dive down to a depth of 35 feet which is really about as deep as I'd want to go.  Certified divers, like Matt, can go to a depth of 60 feet.  To be honest, I was a little nervous about going that deep.  I've been to 25 feet already so 35 feet shouldn't be a problem. 

We bought an underwater case for my camera also so I'm hoping we get some cool pictures.  I might give it to Matt for his deep dives and then I'll use it if I snorkel.   We can do up to 3 dives but, if we decide we're too tired for the last dive, we can still snorkel.  We're doing the same thing the next day but the boat will go to 3 different locations.  I think it will be a lot of fun.  I can't wait to find Nemo!


No comments: