Friday, January 7, 2011

January 7

I've been making this smoothie recipe, courtesy of Ellie Krieger, for about a year. I drink it almost every day for breakfast and I never tire of it. It's like having dessert for breakfast and I switch up the fruit so it doesn't get boring.

My favorite is cherry (pictured) but I also like blueberry, strawberry-banana and apricot.

The basic recipe is:
1 cup frozen fruit
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp honey (I substitute 1 scoop MRM Whey Protein in Rich Vanilla after my workouts but you could also use Instant Breakfast if you want the vanilla sweetness)

If you're going to do a dense fruit like mango, peach or strawberry, I'd recommend adding just a bit more milk. Oh, and BEWARE...raspberry, boysenberry or even mixed berry smoothies are super-tart. Don't use more than 1/2 cup of those fruits and use strawberry for the other half.

No comments: