Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21st

I'm so lazy. Seriously. My big plan was to write my blog every day or two and it's been, what, 13 days since my last blog. Shameful.

I can tell you that I have been reasonably active. Aside from my trip to LA for work on Feb 10-11, I have worked out every single workday. That's 6 days of my regular workout. I had planned to do President's Day also but had a little mishap with some Chardonnay the night before. I really don't drink much even though I mention wine a lot. I usually only have 1-2 glasses in one night and that's usually only on weekends. However, we went out with Matt's friends on Sunday night and these particular friends seem to lull me into drinking and not realizing it. I've only thrown up twice in my life after drinking and it has always been with them. I don't think they are a bad influence. I think that I just lose track and then it creeps up on me. I really HATE throwing up and will do anything to keep it from happening which is part of the reason I watch what and how much I drink. I prefer to be just a little buzzed and that's it. I never enjoy being drunk because I like having control over my body. I've never done hallucinogenic drugs for the same reason....although, taking Ambien on long international flights, I have experienced hallucinations. I don't mind it then because I am still in control. I know that I can shut my eyes the second I want it to end and I will fall into sleep. Usually, I shut my eyes right around the time the stewardess points me out as some wacko who is seeing an elephant in the luggage compartment.

I don't know how much I did during the week to accomplish my goal of being constructive but I did manage to do a lot on the weekends; this one especially. I did all of the bills and finances, files our taxes (the only time of year I like paying mortgage interest), did the grocery shopping, made healthy dinners and unhealthy cookies, caught up on magazines and my Olympics recordings and created a new budget so Matt and I can clear up his debt and increase our credit score. Hurray!

I did do a lot of stuff that I enjoyed, starting with my trip to LA for work. I usually hate going up there but this time I had scheduled dinner with some friends. As it turns out, I was able to see several people I hadn't seen in years, including my ex-boyfriend, Mike. It's funny to write that he's my ex because I don't think of him that way AT ALL. In fact, I almost forget that we ever dated. We have been friends for so long. My friend, Stephanie, couldn't believe that I was seeing him and even asked Matt, "You're okay with this?" Maybe it's just our different ways of dealing with breakups but I don't hold grudges (except once) like she does. I admit that I'm not friends with any of my other exes but I have kept in contact with Mike and a lot of my friends are because of him. In fact, that dinner was with people I never would have met if it weren't for him...Catherine, Jenny and Kristen. Matt understands and that's why I love him. He doesn't make anything difficult, especially when there is no reason. After all this talk about Mike, I actually didn't talk to him much at all that night. I sat between Catherine and Jenny and it was great. I miss sitting around talking to girlfriends and I wish I could do it more often.

I also spent the earlier referenced night out with Matt's friends. They are a fun bunch of people and their kids are quite entertaining but that night I was more interested in one couple's new au-pair. She just moved here from Moldavia which is somewhere close to Russia. I'm not really up on my Eastern European geography but I have an idea of what life must be like. Anyway, she's a totally cute girl who really reminds me of the lead singer of The Sundays. (Remember them?) We were at the Wave House in Pacific Beach and it's right on the water so she snuck out to see the ocean. She was there for quite a while so I went out to her. She had never seen the ocean. She said she could not find the words. I tried to imagine seeing it for the first time, waves crashing, salty air, rhythmic rushing sounds...and I was amazed. It brought back the wonder of it all. It was so great to experience it through her eyes that I remember that moment more than all others from that night.

This past week, I haven't done much. I have been trying to finish "Twilight" but I'm finding it a bit too teenager-ish. They are just a little too in love for the amount of time involved. Then, I watched "Bright Star". I knew nothing about it except that it was about the poet John Keats and a woman he loved...directed by Jane Campion. I knew I was in trouble when I started bawling during a preview about a dog that meets his master at the train every day and one day the master doesn't show up (because he died) but the dog keeps coming day after day. I had no idea that John Keats died of tuberculosis so the end result was me with a soggy napkin and swollen eyes. I totally loved it, of course. I cry at the drop of a hat nowadays and it usually bugs me but I don't mind at all when it is during a fantastic, moving film. In fact, I relish it. This movie was beautiful to watch. More than that, it was beautiful to hear. I don't read poetry and don't understand it much when I do but I do know that I love the sound of it; the lyrical way it floats off the tongue. I could not turn off the end credits because Ben Whishaw was reciting "Ode to a Nightingale" and it was glorious. This was sexual tension and true love and all the things "Twilight" wishes it could be. This was why I love movies.


No comments: